Thursday, May 26, 2011

Man's Faith

*More thoughts, No Reviews. A/N This is something I wrote up after I ventured in to the Trinity Episcopal church in Downtown Santa Barbara.

Stepping from the sunny busy street in to the quiet sanctuary of the church, I stand alone among the pillars and stained glass windows reflecting the stories from scriptures I do not believe in.
I stand surrounded by quiet the noise of the street now a distant hum. 
I am no longer in downtown Santa Barbara I am in Italy, Peru, England, Turkey, Everywhere where a place of worship has welcomed me. Me a non-believer.
From the smallest chapels to the grandest imposing cathedrals I am always struck with awe. Not at a higher immortal being I cannot see but from the physical poof of man's faith.
For centuries we have worshipped, given our best artist and sculptures and architectures to build a place to show our devotion, homage to a being we give our love to. Some have stood the test of time and weather, the Temples of Egypt: others that have several religions call it its home such as The Hagia Sophia in Turkey, and some are just imposing such as my personal Favorite the massive Duomo in Florence, it is the only building in the world that can make me feel small and take my breath away and still others are simple and beautiful like this very small church in Santa Barbara, California. All to are a place of refuge to share worship and to be heard.
I may not believe in God or saints or even take the bible as nothing more than a collection of classic stories. Yet as I stand in this small packet of time I suddenly reinforced in my believe in one thing that Man's Faith is the most powerful force in the world.
Faith has changed the course of history itself, created wars and peace equally.
Faith has built places that millions pilgrim to for just a chance to touch it at something higher themselves.
Faith has given more to a poor lost soul then the richest man on earth could ever give.
Faith is sometimes the only thing that keeps a human from taking their life while at the same time Faith is what deludes a man to believe that he will be blessed if he blows a church or cafe.
Faith tells people who are acceptable to love and those who to hate, those who have rights and those who do not.
Faith gives a voice to those who may believe they do not have one.
Faith makes some stop everything to pray five times a day and others to gather in church once a week where we are told why if we take the word our god; we will have the keys to a paradise.
Faith can be a truly beautiful thing to behold, but at the same time can also take the vision of a hellish nightmare.
But it is faith that makes me believe that in this simple church the non-believer is not rejected in higher being’s eyes for I may not believe in him, I still have faith no one can take that from me.

1 comment:

  1. I am touched. I, a believer,, honour your beautiful writing and understanding of the essence of all religions, decisions, divisions, unions - faith. You are truly gifted. So wonderful to read your work. Keep it coming darling. I say this as I prepare to walk into the streets of my favorite city, and visit a place of divine chant by the Jerusalem community - St. Gervais - a hollow cold stone Gothic cathedral where every night at 6PM, voices light a flame of faith and fill the church with fire - it is awesome to see and hear the gathered faces of faith - faces of old and young, homeless and hippies, mothers and babies, families and celibates - in four-part harmoy set to the Psalms of David - ancient Jewish text that still unites today, more than 2000 years since their penning.
    Your eyes' "take" is refreshing, the mirrors of yur soul and thewisdom of your heart evident in your words.
    THank you.
    Queen barb

    ReplyDelete