Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Roma week One!

Ok, well as is expected the Reviews have made it only to paper and not on the web but soon, I promise!
Ahh Roma! That is my excuse, I have been enraptured with my new experience, exploring the city and adjusting to the time difference.
I am in Rome for a study aroad program studying Art History and Interculture Communcations. Italy has been my favorite country i have visited so far and the oppertuinuty to study in it is a major blessing and I am greatful to my family to let me go! I am in a group of 33 students from Califorina. I am in an apartment with Five people in the area of Trastrevere.
Week One: The company that I am studying through had us hit the ground running so this week has been long!he plane ride was as expected was long, but not horrid however mostly uneventful. When we landed we were disoriented and only wanted to be with in our apartments and sleep which was smart. The next day the company expected us to be in the school at Nine in a city we have never been in and jet lagged. So as very much expected we got competely turned around and if we admit it, lost. I think we went wrong when we took the bus the oppesite direction then where we instrustioned.
But when it was here where it hit me, I was in ROME! I had fretted about it, had this fear that someone was going to tell me there had been some mistake and I couldn't go, but here i was walking the streets of Rome lost and late for class but yes I was in Rome!
That morning we loved in the fact we were in Rome and went in the general direction of the school. Along the way we asked for directions to make sure we on right direction, passed ruins and wonder what they were. One of the group ran in front of a horse and buggy getting yelled at by the driver, "Stupido!" something we all understood! Also while we were passing a popular tourist attraction (we think) we saw a actor dressed up as a Gladiatior, we think he heard our stiffled giggles because as he passed another member of our group he lifted his fake sword and pretended to slice her throat all without breaking stride! That morning was in my opinion the best way to start my trip.
For the most part the week was been filled with experiences and a realization of how much I don't know and how Americanized I am. Not being able to speak the language is a major challenge but I do hope that I will get better by the end of the my three months.
Sadly it seems that Rome does not wish us to see Rome, every guided tour we have been on has been pouring rain. One advice I would give to anyone, NEVER buy an umbrella off of a vendor on the street, the three Eruos is appealing but in heaving rains and wind it can break so easily and be pan not to mention you will be misterable the rest of your tour! Defendently invest in a more expensive one.
That somes up my experiences so far, this weekend we go to Florence and I am thrilled! Besides the rain which makes me feel like a drowned cat, hissing and spitting as well, I am having the time of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment